Instruments of Darkness: The History of Electronic Warfare, 1939-1945

Instruments of Darkness: The History of Electronic Warfare, 1939-1945 - Alfred Price I have to admit it; I'm a tech-freak. I love to read about the technical aspect of military aviation, weapon systems, avionics, aerodynamics and stuff like that.

No victory in electronic warfare during WWI was lasting or absolute. Sooner or later your move would be followed by a countermove by the enemy. Thus the scientist had to stay at least one jump ahead at all times. The mapping of the enemy's technical and production capacity through electronic and other intelligence was essential. And every piece of intelligence had to be painstakingly put together in order to create an overall picture as clear possible.

And when to deploy new devises also had to be taken into consideration. Do we have a countermeasure to our own countermeasures? Like the 'Windows/Chaff' which was held back for some months as it was feared that the Germans had an equivalent - Düppel - in production. And if the Germans could see how efficient Windows/Chaff was they would begin air attacks on the UK using Düppel leaving the British radars blinded and British and Americans with no means to counter it.

Pure luck also played a part as when a JU-88 night fighter pilot lost his way and landed on an air base in the UK giving the scientist invaluable knowledge served undamaged at the end of the runway with so little fuel in the tanks that it was not even enough to make a fuel analysis.

I find this book as intriguing as any crime or spy novel. Easy to read and informative on a level where even I can follow. And as Dr. Alfred Price is one of my favorite authors I really had a good time reading it.

So if this subject has your interest, go get the book, find a good chair, sit down an submerge

By the way, I found this quotation as introduction to the last chapter in the book which I believe covers many things during war times:

"To inquire if and where we made mistakes is not to apologize. War is replete with mistakes because it is full of improvisations. In war we are always doing something for the first time. It would be a miracle if what we improvised under the stress of war should be perfect"

Vice-Admiral Hyman Rickover